Saturday, August 25, 2007

A new "trick!"


I went to Utah on Wednesday and came back today (Saturday). This was going to be a "low budget" trip so I packed my food for the trip down so I wouldn't have to stop. On a "wild hare" I threw two frozen burritos in and some tin foil. For lunch (and again for dinner) I wrapped a burrito in tin foil and then put it on top of the metal (can't think of what it's called) cover that is over the exhaust manifold. There's a motor lifting hook right there close by so I wrapped the tail end of the foil around that to keep it from falling off of the motor while I was driving down the road. The first one I did for 15 minutes and it was warm. For dinner I left it on for 30 minutes and it was nice and hot but a little dry. I guess I'll have to experiment with this a little. On the way home today Joey and Kimberly and I drove up to Logan to see Dad and left there about 10:30 am. I stopped in Tremonton and got a fruit drink to hold me over and then stopped at Walmart in Mountain Home to get something for lunch. (Remember this is "low budget.") I got a couple of pieces of fruit and was looking over the frozen stuff for something I could heat up under the hood. I found a frozen TV dinner that was on sale for 98 cents! so I nabbed it up. I wrapped it in the tin foil and hooked the corner of the tin foil around the motor hook. The package said to bake it at 350 for 30-45 minutes. I figured the under side of the car would be more like 250 or less so I left it there for an hour and ate it at a road side rest just over the Oregon border. It was great! It was cooked all the way through. In fact a few of the kernels of corn were a little burnt. So that's my new "trick." (Here's a picture of my frozen dinner so you'll know I'm not making this up.)
Dad.

1 comment:

Russ May said...

Jackie was not impressed by my ingenuity. "White trash" was I think the term she used to identify the kind of person who would cook food under their hood.