Saturday, June 30, 2007

House facelift



We've been doing some remodeling. It all started when mom got the idea that she'd like to sell the house last fall. We did some painting downstairs (painted all the doors white like we did upstairs) and we decided it was time to remodel our bathroom upstairs. (Take a look for yourself!)

First we tore out the paneling that was around the tub and the window & I replaced the window and mom got some tile to put on the walls and the floor (a great sale at Home Depot -- $1.00 a tile). I tried painting a new finish on the old tub (twice) but the results were lowsy so we decided we needed a new tub and started saving for one. Then we special ordered one from Home Depot. Then I tore out the tub. Then I sanded off the old paint mess that had always pealed (latex on top of oil base) and re-plastered the walls and we primed and painted them. And when the new tub arrived I tore up the floor. The floor around the toilet was all wet so we called in a plumber to replace the toilet drain pipe where it connects to the toilet and they said they'd set in the tub and do the plumbing for me. I asked them for a bid to replace all the pipe in the house (to get rid of the old galvanized pipe) and they gave me a price I thought I could live with and they went to work. They also replaced the front and back faucets and hooked up the fridge so the water and ice dispensers now work (yea!). Then last week mom & I started hanging tile (I previously hung the backer board and last night we tiled the floor and today mom grouted it. It turned out great! (see photos) We still have some work to do on it but we're excited with the results so far. This link will take you to some photos of our ongoing project.
Mom & Dad

2 comments:

Susan said...

Dad! The bathroom looks great. I can't believe that is the same bathroom that I got ready in for so many years. So I wonder, would I have spent more time in the bathroom if it looked like that? Probably.

Russ May said...

Thanks for your encouragement. We're a team, mom and I. I cut tile and she cut it. She did a nice job. I'm really proud of her.
Dad